This team turns an athlete’s movements into measurements; their form into figures; and their strides into strategies. We store, analyze and effectively deliver the performance data of GT athletes to the players, trainers and coaches who use it to turn work into wins.
With every swing, step and score, Georgia Tech’s student athletes generate valuable data that is mostly being allowed to evaporate into the unknown. The athletic programs that learn how to capture, coordinate and capitalize on that data to improve the safety, health and performance of their student athletes will improve their wins both inside and outside of the sports arena.
All GT teams currently maintain some level of performance and health related data. However, these repositories are separated by space, platforms and implementation strategies. This leaves our players, trainers and coaches at a disadvantage when it comes to leveraging that data for success.
The initial focus of this VIP team will be to develop a sports data platform with the ability to better store, integrate and access data. This will lead to a tailoring of information to each user’s specific needs. We will gain a better understanding of our student-athletes, and derive actionable insights that will enhance individual and team performances. Continued efforts will use machine-learning and predictive modeling to uncover insights around athlete readiness, injury prevention, practice design, preparation management, longitudinal player reports, and talent monitoring.
Existing products are often too expensive, not readily customizable, and controlled by third parties. This VIP team is an effort for GT to take control of its sports data and take a leadership role in how it can be used to improve sport performance on the Flats and beyond.
Working with a team (ex: Men’s Basketball)…
· Phase 1:
o Create a customized platform/dashboard to analyze and display (existing) individual Student-Athlete performance data.
o Display the metrics, analytics and data to provide insights into individualized performance plans and real-time impact for our student athletics and their team.
· Phase 2+:
o Platform will expand and grow with a pilot sport team (MBB), incorporating additional data sources and predictive modeling.
VIP program will potentially expand into other GT sports following proof of concept.
Issues Involved or Addressed
(VIP team will address/solve with leadership assistance.)
- Application design
- Data access / API & format (auto vs. excel)
- Database storage - GTAA OIT can help w/ solution
- Address any GT HIPPA concerns.
- Address data confidentiality concerns.
- Address ethics involving the use of the data
- Dashboard design (GTAA and existing product examples)
- Software, metrics, analytics (continually updating and improving)
Methods and Technologies
Academic Majors of Interest
Preferred Interests and Preparation
- Genuine interest in sports.
- Motivated and interested in developing dashboard(s) for our GT sports teams.
- Skills in data management, design, coding/software development, analytics.
- Includes but not limited to:
- CS – Programming background, user interface design.
- ISyE – Workflow and process improvement, data analytics.
- BME – Background in health IT systems, electronic health records.
- Open consideration to other degree candidates.
Meeting Schedule & Location
- College of Computing