Development of an intelligent system to manage and maintain makerspaces.
Issues Involved or Addressed
1. How to train users and trainers for safe operations within a makerspace? (example: How to design cloud based as well as hands-on learning experiences, and how to validate training).
2. How to collect and analyze data from makerspaces for efficient operations of the space and equipment within a makerspace? (example: How to develop queuing system for tools within makerspace).
3. How to support and manage the culture of student-run organization staffing the makerspace? - Focus on volunteers who run the makerspace.
All above three issues are inter-dependent and hence combined within one large umbrella of the VIP project.
Methods and Technologies
Academic Majors of Interest
- Business›General Management
- Business›IT Management
- Business›Leadership and Organizational Change
- Computing›Computer Science
- Design›Industrial Design
- Engineering›Electrical Engineering
- Engineering›Industrial Engineering
- Engineering›Materials Science and Engineering
- Engineering›Mechanical Engineering
- Ivan Allen›Digital Media
Preferred Interests and Preparation
All applicants are preferred to have interests in hands-on learning and interest in becoming a PI (prototyping Instructor) in the Invention Studio. However, this is not a mandatory requirement. Students with majors in engineering and CS with interests in IOT are preferred. Students with majors in Business Administration are expected to lead sub-teams within the VIP project and past experience of strong leadership as well as project management skills are preferred.
Meeting Schedule & Location
- Mechanical Engineering