The goal of the VoterTech team is to investigate factors that affect voter turnout among college students and developing technologies to facilitate:
• Voter registration
• Transportation to the Polls on Election Day or for Early Voting (via ride sharing)
• Early and Absentee voting
• Reporting of Voting Irregularities
Issues Involved or Addressed
- What percentage of eligible college students are registered to vote and where?
- If registered at home, what percent vote early, by absentee ballot, on election day, or not at all?
- What factors affect college students’ likelihood of voting?
- What are the information needs of college students when voting?
- What are the differences in awareness between local issues (local to place of registration) and national issues? Does that difference impact desire to vote?
Methods and Technologies
Academic Majors of Interest
- Computing›Computational Media
- Computing›Computer Science
- Computing›Human-Computer Interaction
- Design›City and Regional Planning
- Ivan Allen›Literature, Media, and Communication
- Ivan Allen›Public Policy
Preferred Interests and Preparation
CM, CS, HCI: Background/interest in User-centered design, usability evaluation, interaction design.
Other Majors: Experience with or willingness to learn about app development and voting behavior.