Develop creative robots that can listen to, play, and improvise music.
Issues Involved or Addressed
The Robotic Musicianship Team aims to facilitate meaningful musical interactions between humans and machines, leading to novel musical experiences and outcomes. In our research we combine computational modeling approaches for perception, interaction, and improvisation with novel approaches for generating acoustic responses in physical and visual manners. The motivation for this work is based on the hypothesis that real-time collaboration between human and robotic players can capitalize on the combination of their unique strengths to produce new and compelling music. Our goal is to combine human qualities such musical expression and emotions with robotic traits such as powerful processing, the ability to perform sophisticated mathematical transformations, robust long-term memory, and the capacity to play accurately without practice.
Methods and Technologies
Academic Majors of Interest
- Computing›Computational Media
- Computing›Computer Science
- Computing›Human-Computer Interaction
- Computing›OMSCS asynchronous, case-by-case
- Computing›OMSCS synchronous, case-by-case
- Design›Music Technology
- Engineering›Biomedical Engineering
- Engineering›Computer Engineering
- Engineering›Electrical Engineering
- Engineering›Mechanical Engineering
- Ivan Allen›Digital Media
Preferred Interests and Preparation
HCI, CS, ME, BME, DM, AP, CmpE, ECE.
- C/C++, Java, Objective-C, Matlab, Python and MaxMSP.
- Arduino, servos such as the Dynamixel Smart Serial Servos, Mekabot control boards.
- Solidworks, Autocad, Maya.
- Familiarity with platform such as Android, iOS, OSx, Linux, and Kindle.
Meeting Schedule & Location
- Music Technology