Applications for the Spring 2023 semester will be accepted until December 15, 2022.
Finding VIP Teams
Some VIP team projects are well suited to Online Masters of Science Computer Science (OMSCS) students. On the team listings page (upper left item in menu bar), OMSCS is listed as a separate major so students can identify teams that accept or will consider OMSCS students. There are four designations: synchronous; asynchronous; synchronous, case-by-case; and asynchronous, case-by-case. Students who participate asynchronously will not attend the full team meeting, but they will meet synchronously with their subteam at another time during the week. These subteam meetings are scheduled by students on the team.
OMSCS students are encouraged to email the advisor of the team prior to submitting their applications. Also, in the motivation box on the application page, please indicate your time zone and your employer.
Apply by the Posted Deadline
Because special sections are created for OMSCS students, it is important to apply by the specified deadline. Changes in the number of credit hours and switching to a new team both require the creation of a new section. After the OMSCS deadline, these changes may not be possible.
OMSCS students can register for 1,2, or 3 credit hours. However, there is a maximum of 6 credit hours an OMSCS student can register for per semester, and VIP courses count towards the credit maximum. These restrictions are set by the OMSCS program and inquiries pertaining the restriction should be directed to your OMSCS academic advisor.
|APPLY TO VIP|
- You can only apply to one team at a time.
- If you are not approved (team already has too many students from your academic rank/major, etc.), you can apply to another team.
- If you change your mind about which team you would like, either before or after you are approved, you can apply to join a different team, and the new application will replace the old one
- VIP operates as a course. New students join at the beginning of Fall and Spring semesters.
- VIP is not offered in the summer, but continuing students may be able to continue their work in the summer through independent study with their instructor.
New students cannot have a time conflict with their team meeting.
- If you have been accepted, your acceptance will remain valid, even if your registration permit has not been issued yet.
- You won't be able to register until a permit is issued. Permits are issued during active registration periods, so that you receive the Course Registration Number when you need it.
- Permits are only issued to students via the application system above.
- Students registering for the 2 and 3-credit option must also register for the un-supervised lab in addition to your section. The CRN for the lab is included in the email from VIP indicating your permit was issued.
The VIP Program does not allow students to freely switch from team to team. As a disincentive, students are typically asked to take a one-semester break between participation on one team and another. Students seeking exception to this rule should provide a detailed explanation in the comments section in the online application.