To access Canvas, go to https://canvas.gatech.edu/
To access the Canvas dashboard, go to https://gatech.instructure.com/
The terminology for combining sections in Canvas is "cross-listing." This is not the same as cross-listing courses in the course catalog (which causes some confusion). The link below has instructions along with a link to a video.
Cross-listing should be done while courses are unpublished. Coursework is retained with the course, not with the section enrollments, so if a published course is cross-listed, all cross-listed enrollments will lose any associated assignment submissions and grades.
Once your courses have been combined, you can use Canvas e-mail lists to e-mail your students.
Add people to your Canvas course
Instructors can add guests to their Canvas sites, such as graduate students, co-advisors, etc.
1. Go to https://canvas.gatech.edu/roles.
2. Click People in the Course Navigation.
3. Click the Add People button.
4. Select how you want to add the user in the Add user(s) by section.
5. Enter or paste the users' information in the box.
6. Click the arrow on the Role box and select a role for the user from the reulting menu.
7. Click the Next button.
8. Click the Add Users button to add the user.
Sponsor external guests
If you have a collaborator who is not a GA Tech employee, you can sponsor a GA Tech account through Passport. The link for sponsoring guests will be in the left menu of Passport toward the bottom.
Groups are a way to group students in your course and let them submit one assignment for the group and receive one grade for the group.
1. Click People in the Course Navigation.
2. Click the Group Set button.
3. Enter a name in the Group Set Name box.
4. Optional: Check the Allow self sign-up or the Require group members to be in the same section boxes.
5. Select Split students into groups and enter the number of groups in the box, or select I'll create groups manually.
6. Click the Save button.
Not a Document Archive
Note that you should NOT use Canvas for the management of any documentation or reference material that you want your team to have access to each semester. It is difficult to move content from one semester's Canvas site to the next. Please use the VIP wiki site for your team to maintain documentation and reference material:
Access the VIP wiki here
If there is a problem, Canvas provides support for faculty 24/7 by chat or by phone. This can be accessed from the help menu as shown to the right.