The VIP Program provides support for faculty who are incorporating VIP into proposals. Beyond expenses related to team operation, there are no program-related charges. VIP can be incorporated into proposals in a variety of ways, including:
- As broader impacts because:
- VIP teams impact a large number of students (23/semester on average), yielding greater impact than conventional REU models.
- VIP teams attract students from a wide range of backgrounds, which supports equity.
- VIP can increase student interest in graduate school.
- VIP supports workforce development, and it is associated with higher job-placement rates at graduation.
- VIP teams attract students from a wide variety of majors, which supports an educated electorate.
- In a CAREER proposal (faculty have received positive feedback on VIP in these)
- As the education element of a center
To support current and prospective faculty, the program can provide:
- Boilerplate text on VIP (program structure, student benefits, equity issues, etc.) and references
- Letters of support
- General statistics on VIP:
- Number of students served
- Proportion of degree recipients served (approximately 30% in AY 2023)
- Majors served
- The statistics above are also available here to anyone with a FERPA flag (academic advisors, department chairs, etc.)
- Customized statistics:
- Number of students an existing team has served
- Majors an existing team has served
To request support for an upcoming proposal, please email Leah Misemer at email@example.com.